Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Nesting in full swing? Or my suppressed creative brain just exploding?

First off...I'm pretty sure God saved Tatiana and I from being totally plowed by a car today. I was sitting at the left turn arrow to turn into my work...all the stop lights, all four ways, had been sitting red for at least 30 seconds. I, along with a few other cars were patiently waiting at our respective lights waiting for something to turn green. Then a car coming 55+ mph comes straight ahead right through a red light, not a newly red light, but a stale red light, that had been red for more than 20 seconds. I glanced over quickly with my mouth agape and noticed the woman had a cell phone directly in front of her face and wasn't looking at the road at all. Then my light turned green. Had my left turn arrow turned green 10 seconds sooner I would totally have been plowed by this woman who was way too busy focusing on her cell phone to even look up at the light to see if it was green, yellow, or red. I definitely said a prayer of thanks, so again, thank you God!

Now, back to the title of this entry... yesterday morning I got all these creative decore' ideas for the nursery swimming around in my head. Here's the thing with my creative urges, when I get one, I want to do it NOW and finish it NOW. So after a trip to Michael's and a fabric store out on Grand Avenue I feverishly worked away. By bedtime last night, what had just been a small vision in my head, was a completed product propped up on the crib in the nursery.

Cupcakes! I love cupcakes...making them, eating them, and associated imagery of cupcakes. Bjorn's mom has been referring to Tatiana as "cupcake!" since the day she found out we were expecting. So what could be more perfect?

I made a template of a cupcake in several different pieces, traced them on felt, cut them out, and put them together. Then I went fabric shopping and got some really nice batik fabrics (fabric made using a wax-resist dyeing process) and stretched them over some canvas stretcher bars. Attached the cupcakes, and voila.



While I was fabric shopping I also picked up a fabric with a cute print and some coordinating ribbons so I could make a hair bow holder.

I love the ribbons...'Oooh La La,' the Eiffel tower, and cute little owls.

1 comment:

B F said...

I will be a follower! I love your blog and I'm only a week behind you in your pregnancy. Your nursery ideas are so cute! Congrats on your little girl! They are seriously so much fun!