Monday, April 5, 2010

Weekend Projects

We had a busy weekend. First of all we finally got the new storm door I've wanted for about a year now! We already had a storm door (was there when we moved in) but it was older, and a bit damaged on the inside. Plus we never switched the glass out for the screen in the summer because we have two dogs and didn't want the screen ruined. Our new door is mostly glass, unlike our previous one, anddddddd....the best part is, you never have to switch out the glass and screen...why? Because the top part of the glass slides down and a screen magically rolls down. We never have to switch anything out, worry about the dogs ruining the screen, and I can finally let fresh air in through the front door. It took Bjorn and our neighbor about 5 hours to install it! And from what others have told me this is not completely unusual... we saved $97 by not having it professionally installed, but it sure made for a crabby husband!

By the way, our neighbors are AMAZING. They are always so helpful, I love our neighborhood! When we were at Home Depot Bjorn realized neither of us had measured the width of the door (they're usually always 32" or 36")...newer homes have a standard 36" but since our home is from 1973 there was a possibility it could have been 32". One quick call to one of our neighbors and he measured the door and said he'd help install it. Can't beat that!

I have a red front door fetish...I love them....well honestly I love colorful front doors in general, but red ones really speak to me. When we bought our house the door was white (and the house numbers were nailed onto the door, UM, HIDEOUS) and there were no shutters, it was so BLAND. Now it pops. :)

My first outdoor flower pot of the year...these flowers are supposed to like a cooler temperature, so hopefully they make it.


So besides some outdoor home improvement adventures and baking for Easter I also got some sewing done. I am on a sewing kick again, I will go until I burn out, give it a break, then start all up again. Now that I'm getting more uncomfortable in my pregnancy though my stamina isn't as good and I get pretty sore and tired when sewing.

Here's what I accomplished this weekend...






















   First up I finished the blanket that matches Tatiana's wall art I made. There are 11 different fabrics in this blanket, and 9 of them are from the Amy Butler line called 'Love.' It's so colorful and crazy, I've been referring to it as the acid trip blanket.


I hand embroidered our daughter's name on the blanket and plan on writing a special message to her in the remaining space (once I find my fabric marker...).

"Where's Tatiana?" ...I've been asking the dogs this for quite a few weeks now, and asking them about their "little sister Tatiana." I've been saying it so much that now when I ask Vesper "Where's Tatiana!?!?" she cocks her head to the side and gets excited, even though she has no idea what I'm talking about. I thought it was cute that she just so happened to lay down with her paw right next to her little sisters name.

Next up, a taggy blanket. These are little blankets that are supposed to be a tactile and interesting thing for baby to hold onto and play with. You can buy a pattern to make one, but they are pretty simple to make without one since it's just a square...or in my case a rectangle, which is what the fabric I had left over from my blanket allowed. Bjorn's mom has made a lot of these for babies in the family, and specifically Bjorn's nephew who is now 3 1/2 still LOVES his, it's a comfort item when it's bed time. These taggy blankets are known as a "minky" in the family, because on one side we always use minky fabric (which is a super soft velvety fabric). My favorite part is picking out all the cute ribbons to use.



Girly ribbons! Hearts, Eiffel towers, owls, lots of cupcakes (of course!), "Bon Jour", "le bebe." Lots of French themed ribbons in honor of her middle name.

Minky fabric side




Flannel fabric side






















      So soft and cuddly.
























And last up...the fabric I picked out for Tatiana's crib skirt and a matching crib sheet. Bjorn's mom is going to sew these up and I can't wait to see the finished product. I think this fabric will go great with the cupcake art work that will hang on the wall above the crib.




Last note...baby update: Wow while writing this she has been kicking really high up, at least 3 inches above my belly button and way to my right side. It scared me at first because she's never kicked that far over and high up. *Basking in pregnancy glory* :)   ...oh and this will be a fun game for me to play. Bjorn's cousins wife is also pregnant (yay!), she is 7 weeks behind me. Her baby shower is planned for 5 days before my due date...so I will either be, a.)huge and uncomfortable, b.)giving birth, c.)have a baby with me . Can't wait to see which it will be! With my luck though I'll be one of those women who goes 2 weeks over her due date...but only time will tell!

No comments: