Thursday, January 13, 2011

So we've been getting more creative in our food all around lately... well minus Bjorn because he's still lovin' his blue box mac 'n cheese. But he did try some interesting food at the Thai restaurant last weekend, so big points for him.

For the second time in my life, last night I tried cooking tofu again. I like when I get it at a restaurant and it's in cubes, and is light and fluffy and spongey inside. How the HECK do they cook it like that? I got a block of firm tofu and soaked and soaked the moisture out of it until I felt like I had wasted enough paper towels/trees for the entire year. Then I cubed it, marinated it in soy sauce and pan fried it for about 20 minutes. Then I dumped it on a cookie sheet and let it cook at 400 in the oven for about 30 minutes hoping that would help dry it out better. Well it turned out better than the first time I tried (which was a mushy mess), the cubes stayed as cubes, and were dry on the outside, but unfortunately were still moist on the inside. It was most definitely still edible and good, just not what I had hoped for. If you're a tofu expert, please leave me a comment, I need help! :)

Tofu with carrots, onions, red pepper, basil and garlic. And straight out of the package Archer Farm's Coconut Cashew Basmati Rice (which by the way, is delicious).


Tried a new wine last night as well. I've been eyeing this one for awhile since it's called "Cupcake." The woman at the store informed me that both the white (sauvignon blanc) and red (a blend) by Cupcake Vineyard are great. I've only had the white so far and it was very yummy. Oh, and totally reasonable at around $7-$8.

Now onto the adventure's of Tatiana's cusine de purée...we have introduced some spices and herbs and even blueberries into her diet. I've got a small stash of peas-fresh basil-rice, apples-cinnamon-oatmeal, and blueberry-apple-oatmeal. She loves them all so far. I do not use recipes but seek out advice from wholesomebabyfood.com.


peas-basil-rice

blueberry-apple-oatmeal


I'm running out of recycled Gerber food containers so I had to use an icecube tray for some of the blueberry mixture. I do not have a normal ice cube tray...I have heart shaped, star shaped, and mickey mouse head shaped. And so I present you with heart shaped frozen cubes of baby food.



Here's the current freezer stash. It includes sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, avocado, pears-oatmeal, apples-cinnamon-oatmeal, peas-basil-rice, and blueberry-apple-oatmeal. I hope to add carrot-cilantro-rice to the mix soon.



When I was making the blueberry-apple-oatmeal Tatiana was in her jumper in the kitchen. So I gave her a spoonful of it fresh out of the food processor. She made a sour face, until about the third spoonful. Then it was pure deliciousness to her.



And on a fun note, the convertible car seat for my car arrived today. It's the Combi Coccoro in key lime. And I unintentionally dressed Tatiana to match the seat.


Also, I caught my baby chewing tobacco this morning...at least that's what it looks like in this photo. :)

And I'll end this post by saying...best thing ever? Grabbing your sleepy baby out of their crib in the morning and bringing them into your bed to snuggle for a bit...then having them wake up minutes later smiling in your arms. *swoon*

1 comment:

B F said...

That carseat color is adorable!